With a new downtown core, thousands of businesses and more than 335,000 residents, the City of Vaughan is one of Ontario’s fastest growing municipalities – and it continues to grow. In response to the increase in travel demand throughout Vaughan, the City has developed a MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy.
The strategy sets the direction and priorities for the next five years while ensuring an efficient, reliable, safe and sustainable transportation system for all citizens and business owners. By 2031, Vaughan’s population is projected to increase by 36 per cent while jobs are expected to grow by 18 per cent in the same period. Road safety and effective traffic management remain a top priority for the City to help meet the community’s existing and evolving transportation needs.
On Wednesday, March 10, myself and Members of Council endorsed MoveSmart, reinforcing the City’s commitment to Transportation and Mobility – a strategic priority in the 2018-2022 Term of Council Service Excellence Strategic Plan. It focuses on improving the municipal road network, enhancing road safety and supporting more cycling and pedestrian infrastructure to create a fully connected and integrated community. The strategy will be reviewed and updated every five years. Progress on its implementation will be reported annually to Council.
ABOUT THE STRATEGY
Connecting people, places and communities The MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy helps form and direct the City’s vision to provide a transportation system that is safer, more efficient and sustainable. In the 2018 Citizen Satisfaction Survey, 59 per cent of residents said transportation is the most important issue facing the community. The City continues to focus its efforts on ensuring an efficient and reliable transportation system that ultimately gets citizens and businesses where they need to go. The MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy sets the direction and priorities for the next five years. Together with input from the community, the MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy forms a plan to continue delivering efficient traffic services. The strategy objectives include the following:
- Provide a framework for collaboration with the community and other stakeholders
- Define a set of goals for transportation encompassing community values and identify a plan to address the City’s mobility needs in an effective, responsible and sustainable manner
- Identify opportunities for a more balanced approach to transportation, including the most vulnerable road users
The MoveSmart Mobility Management Strategy consists of four programs:
- Road Safety Program – to increase road safety and raise public awareness
- To bring together key stakeholders to keep the City’s streets safer for all road users and help foster a road safety culture
- To take a more proactive approach to road safety by using data and proven statistical procedures and identify additional road safety opportunities
- Mobility Management Program – to improve efficiency through innovation and technology
- To modernize the City’s traffic signals system, providing more efficient traffic flow and link to existing and future technologies
- To ensure pedestrians, cyclists and vehicle traffic continue to move safely and efficiently through signalized intersections and pedestrian crossings using the existing road network.
- Traffic Data Management Program – to assure accuracy and availability of traffic data
- To modernize traffic data management with up to date traffic data to form the core of the Strategy and support data-driven and evidence-based decision-making
- To have traffic data to allow for ongoing tracking of performance of the transportation system over time
- Sustainable Mobility Program – to support active and sustainable transportation
- To support the development of additional active and sustainable transportation options and ensure that these options focus on the safety of all road users
- To support the expansion of the pedestrian and cycling network through consideration of the operations and maintenance services
For more information, visit vaughan.ca/MoveSmart.