Over the past 11 years as an elected municipal official, Sandra Yeung Racco has worked tirelessly for her constituents. During her 3 terms on Council, Sandra has built an array of new parks, led art and culture initiatives, addressed the needs of youths and seniors, and collaborated with other levels of government to bring the Subway into Vaughan.
Born in Hong Kong and raised in Ontario, Sandra developed an acute appreciation for the arts after studying music at the Royal Conservatory of Music and graduated with a Bachelor of Music Education degree from the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Music.
Sandra then ventured into the world of international business relations, where she developed an understanding of the needs of global business communities. But it was her volunteer work in the not for profit sector working with numerous boards and committees that she developed a nuanced appreciation of the fabric of the local community.
As a result, Sandra has a unique and diverse palate of experience that blends business, the arts, international business relations, the importance of family and, most importantly, a sensitive understanding of the complex needs and priorities of Ward 4 residents and businesses. As a result, she is committed to delivering results for Ward 4 and to continuing to build a vibrant and livable community for her constituents.
Sandra currently lives in Thornhill with her husband and four children.
Present City of Vaughan Boards/Committees
- Member of Council, City of Vaughan
- Director, PowerStream
- Director, Vaughan Holdings Inc.
- Member, Finance Administration Committee
- Member, Priorities and Key Initiatives Committee
- Trustee, Vaughan Public Library Board
- Member, Hearing Committee for Licensing Matters
- Director, Hydro Vaughan Holding Inc.
- Director, Hydro Vaughan Energy Corporation
- Member, York Region Road Watch Committee
- Member, Don Watershed Regeneration Council
Present External Boards/Committees
- Honorary Chair, Vaughan Chinese Business Association
- Honorary Advisor, Canadian Multicultural Council, Asians in Ontario
- Honorary Chair and Opening Co-MC, Taste of Asia Festival
- Honorary Advisor, York Central Chinese Canadian Association
- Chair, Vaughan Arts Center of Excellence
- President, Federation of Chinese Canadians in Vaughan (under the umbrella of FCCYR)
- Board of Director & Chair, Government Affairs, Chinese Business Council of Vaughan
- Board Member, Vaughan Community Health Centre
- Member, York Region Spadina Subway TOD Task Force
- Vaughan Representative, Canadian Federation of International Friendship
- Advisor, Life with Baby
- Advisor, Shadowpath Theatre Company
- Past President & Candidate, Thornhill Provincial Liberal Association (2002-2014)
- Chair, Economic Development Committee, City of Vaughan (2006-2010)
- Chair, Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Advisory Committee, City of Vaughan (2006-2010)
- Chair, Arts Advisory Committee, City of Vaughan (2006-2010)
- Chair, Council/School Board Liaison Committee, City of Vaughan (2006-2010)
- Vice-Chair, Safe City Committee, City of Vaughan (2006-2010)
- Member, Concord West Streetscape Community Advisory Committee (2008-2010)
- Member, Vaughan Tourism Advisory Committee (2006-2010)
- Chair and Vice-Chair, City of Vaughan Arts & Culture Committee (1994–1997)
- Honorary Advisor, Toronto Overseas Business Network Association (2006-2010)
- Executive Board Member, Chinese Advisory Committee, North York General Hospital (1996-2008)
- Member, Board of Governors, North York General Hospital (1996-2004)
- Member, Property & Development Task Force, North York General Hospital (1996-2004)
- Member, Quality Committee, North York General Hospital (1996-2004)
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, North York General Hospital (1996-2004)
- Member, Board of Directors, Mon Sheong Foundation (1996-2004)
- Chair, Human Resources Committee, Mon Sheong Foundation (1996-2004)
- Chair, City of Vaughan Community Relations Committee (1997–2000)
- Founding President, Brownridge Ratepayers’ Association (2001–2003)
- Panel Member, Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (2001–2003)
- Co-Chair, Golden Gala, North York General Hospital (October 25, 2003) Chair, Spadina-York Subway Extension Committee (2003–2007)
- Trustee, Vaughan Library Board (2003-2006)
- Board of Director, Skills for Change (2004–2006)
- Advisor, Interchange Business Association (2006-2010)