The City has engaged Perkins + Will to undertake a detailed Functional Programming and Planning Study for a new Community Centre, Neighbourhood Branch Library and District Park. The project site is 7.53 hectares, defined by Major Mackenzie Drive (north), Valley Vista Drive (south), Thomas Cook Avenue (west) and TRCA-regulated valley lands and associated watercourse (east).
Completion of the Functional Programming and Planning Study is expected by the end of 2018. The next phase of the project will be to retain the Prime Consultant to provide design consulting services. The project will reinforce a culture of excellence with strong considerations for context, functionality, accessibility, environmental sustainability, urban and architectural significance.
2018 ATMP – Highlights Relating to Carrville Community Centre
• 2018 ATMP was finalized in May 2018.
• Various recommendations and references to the future Block 11 Community Centre are found throughout the document.
• Functional Programming & Planning Study is informed by the 2018 ATMP.
• Re-iterates developing indoor pools within future major community centre developments, including Block 11.
• Continue with plans to develop a branch library in Block 11.
• Gymnasium(s) should be located within the Carrville Community Centre.
• Tennis courts should be developed in Block 11.
• Waterplay facility at Block 11.
• Potential for outdoor rink or skating trail to be explored at Block 11.
• Arena no longer the preferred anchor amenity at Block 11. Planning to proceed without the inclusion of a twin pad arena at Block 11 site.
Functional Program Components
· Indoor Leisure Pool
· Teaching Rooms
· Indoor Therapy Pool
· Branch Neighbourhood Library
· Multi-Purpose Fitness Room
· Multi-use Sports Field
· Fitness Studios
· Tennis Courts
· Basketball Courts
· Indoor Track
· Waterplay and Splash Area
· Large Multi-Purpose Room
· Program Rooms