City is calling on residents to submit ideas for new Coat of Arms
The City of Vaughan has a rich history and strong civic pride. To pay tribute to this heritage, the Canadian Heraldic Authority is granting Vaughan a Coat of Arms. This honour is bestowed by the Canadian Crown under the powers exercised by the Governor General of Canada to recognize how the community has been shaped.
Residents and businesses have the opportunity to participate in the creation of this legacy piece by submitting a motto to adorn the Coat of Arms. The motto must be a maximum of 30 characters, consist of two or three nouns or adjectives, and be English. Phrases that are literary or historical in nature will also be accepted.
Submissions for the City’s Coat of Arms motto are being accepted until Nov. 13. To be eligible, a person must be a resident or work in the City.
Guidelines for Submission
Maximum of 30 letters in length (numbers, symbols or other characters are not permitted)
Should consist of two or three nouns or adjectives
Preferably use phrases or proverbs which may be literary or historical in nature, or an entirely original submission
The language of the motto must be written in English only
Some examples of mottos used by Canadian coats of arms include:
Canada – “From sea to sea”
Ontario – “Loyal she began, loyal she remains”
Who may submit an idea for consideration?
To be eligible to submit a proposal for the motto, you must be:
- A resident of the City of Vaughan; or
- An employee or owner of a business in Vaughan.
How do I submit an idea for consideration?
To submit your idea for the City’s new motto, email your proposal to CoatOfArms@vaughan.ca or submit your idea in person or by fax to the Office of the City Clerk.
What is the deadline for submissions?
The deadline for motto submissions is Monday, November 13, 2017.
How will the motto be chosen?
Submitted mottos will be considered by Council at a future meeting, to select the motto which is incorporated into the City’s new Coat of Arms.
- Submissions will be reviewed by a committee of senior City staff which will recommend the top submissions to Vaughan Council for approval.
- Once Council has approved the motto, it will be submitted to the Canadian Heraldic Authority to be incorporated into the final Coat of Arms design.
- The new Coat of Arms will be formally presented to the City at a ceremony to be announced at a later date.